Welcome to episode #125! Where does the time go? I have been doing these podcasts for over two years. Wow! I LOVE every second of it. I love helping, teaching, inspiring, and motivating. If you are listening today, thank you very much. Today, I am going to share with you three rules that I live by every single day. It has nothing to do with eating, nothing about exercising, nothing about meditation, these are three entirely different rules that I live by every day.
Be sure to follow my LIVE daily broadcasts on Periscope at www.periscope.tv/davidmadow.
Before I get into it just a few things to talk about real quick.
- If you haven’t caught me on Periscope yet, I am going to strongly recommend. I broadcast live from wherever I am at and you get to interact with me. You can show me love by giving me hearts and you can ask me questions. Periscope is a fun platform. It’s growing and I want you to be there with us. It’s a free download for iPhone or Android. Download and follow me @davidmadow. If you keep your notifications on, you will receive a notification when I am broadcasting.
- My book, Vegan in 7 Days, has hit a few roadblocks. Originally we were going to have this ready by summer of 2016 but it does not look like it will be out in time. It is going to happen at some point but it won’t be by summer. I apologize, I did not want to lead anybody on. It’s a great concept and I am still moving forward with it.
- I want to have some fun. Let’s try this. I want to see who you are and what you are doing right now. My challenge to you is that wherever you are and whatever you are doing, stop what you’re doing for just one minute and take a selfie. We don’t want this to be dirty so please keep it family friendly. Snap a selfie and send it to me Facebook page here.
The 3 Rules I Live By Everyday
- I did not invent this but I follow this rule everyday. I follow the “golden rule”. For those of you who don’t know that means that I treat others that way that I want to be treated. It sounds so simple and trite. But these days it seems that people are so inconsiderate. I spend my life trying to be considerate to other people and I think if more people were like that the world would be a better place to live. I always try to do the right thing. Whatever I do in my life I would never want it to negatively impact someone else’s enjoyment or time. So please live by the golden rule. If even most of you listen to me and abide by that then I think we will have a much better planet.
- I’ve talked about this before. It is something that I believe in very strongly and do everyday. Do what you love. My life has totally changed since I began living by this rule. It hasn’t always been this way. When I was going through secondary school and professional school, I wasn’t doing what I loved. I couldn’t look in the mirror and say that I loved what I did everyday. I got into the mindset that I am going to do what I love everyday. When you can’t tell the difference between work and a vacation or the weekend and your work, then you have arrived and you are doing what you love. It really bothers me when I hear people say things like “just two more days until the weekend then thank God it’s Friday”, or “I can’t to go on vacation, I have to get out of this rat race”. I think to myself what kind of life are you living? Why would you ever want to live most of your days doing something that you don’t like? Why would you ever do that? I’ve done it both ways. I have been there. I have been in jobs that I didn’t like and jobs that I didn’t like and relationships that I didn’t like. I don’t think there is anybody out there that is going to argue with me when I say that it’s much better to be doing what you love everyday than something that you hate every day. If someone disagrees with that and says that you should be doing something that you hate, hey if you want to follow them go ahead and follow them. I’m not going to 🙂 The same thing goes for a relationship. If you are in a relationship and it is not working out for you and you are dreading it, it’s going nowhere, and you are upset and anxious, change it. I am not a proponent of divorce. Divorce is not easy. It’s horrible. Your first choice is to try to make it better. Go to counseling and work things out if necessary. But if it doesn’t work, move on and find something better. Life is short. Don’t stay in something that you are hating. Don’t do it!
- This is something that I have been doing lately. It is a game changer. It’s one compound word – downsize. I’m coming at you from experience because I have done things both ways. I used to live a life where I had this big house, fancy cars in the garage, and the kids in private school, and a closet full of clothes. It was a bunch of things I just didn’t need. There was not one “thing” that made me happy. Things don’t make me happy. Being with the right people, that’s what makes me happy. Not something in my closet, jewelry, or a fancy car. I like a good car but that does not make me happy. So I’ve learned to downsize my life. I paid off anything that I owed. I paid off my mortgage and I own my home free and clear. I have regular bills but I don’t have any loans or credit card debt. It doesn’t matter how much money or how little money you are making, you can do the same thing. It’s called downsizing and it means that you are spending way less money than you make. It’s not difficult to do. I don’t spend my life chasing after the almighty dollar like so many people do. I keep my life very simple but I have always been responsible with my money. I put money into retirement. I just don’t need a ton of money to be happy. My wife Yoko and I are able to travel and do the things that we want and we don’t travel extravagantly. I am not staying at the Ritz Carlton. We stay in comfortable places. I’ve even gone through my closets and cabinets to get rid of stuff. When you try to get rid of stuff in your life, it will be so much better. I will leave you with this story. Sometime last year I ended up writing the largest check I’ve written in my entire life. And I wrote this check to this person to make my life more peaceful. The minute I wrote that check most of my money was gone. A good percentage of it anyway. But guess what? I feel better now than before I wrote the check. It was worth so much more than having that money sitting in my bank account. I have less now and I am happier than I have been in my entire life!
These are the rules that I follow everyday. If you do, I am sure good things will happen in your life as well.
I appreciate you! Remember, these episodes come out once a week on Monday and you can enjoy them at your leisure.
One more quick favor. If you have a friend or family member or someone that you think could benefit from these life lessons that I give each week, feel free to share The David Madow Lifestyle with them.
CONNECT WITH ME AND SHARE
“Thank you very much for listening! The show is literally downloaded by the thousands each week now. In fact, we have passed the 290,000+ downloads mark! Wow! I so appreciate you listening and sharing this show with your family and friends. I love to help people live a healthier life! It is so great that we have listeners from all over the world from the United States to the UK to Canada to Europe to Japan to Australia. I love hearing from people all over the world on Facebook, Twitter, Email, and our phone hotline too!” – Dr. Dave.
Did you enjoy today’s show? Do you have any questions for me? Do you have any comments or feedback? You are not alone! We want to help you live better, stronger, happier, thinner lives!
Check out the podcasts, recipes, blog posts, and more!
—> Connect with Dr. Dave on Facebook:
Check out videos of the show and send questions/feedback
—> Connect with Dr. Dave on Instagram:
—> Connect with Dr. Dave on Google+
—> Tweet with Dr. Dave on Twitter:
__> Subscribe to Dr. Dave’s YouTube channel:
—>Connect with Dr. Dave and his professional portfolio on LinkedIn:
—> Send Dr. Dave an Email:
—> Share the show with a friend:
Do you have a friend that needs to hear this show and live a better life? Share this show with them and send them to https://www.davidmadow.com