133 – [Explicit] Sleep, Protein, Fitbit and Mothers
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
WARNING: EXPLICIT MATERIAL
Highlights from today’s show…
- Dr. Dave is on the road again! Find out about day 3 of his hippie road trip currently in progress.
- Protein and sleep. I share the results of my interesting research.
- The absolute best advice I can give you…
Hey there! How are ya? Welcome to episode #133. This is the show where I help you live stronger, longer, healthier, and happier. If you’re a regular listener, welcome back! I appreciate you. If you are a new listener, thanks so much for being with me. And for the first time in 133 episodes, I have to give you a warning at the beginning of this. There is a very good chance that this is going to be explicit. So if language offends you, or if you are in a public area or with kids, and don’t want to hear certain words; I am giving you the warning right now. This will most likely become explicit because I have got something that I want to share with you and there will be some language involved.
Be sure to follow my LIVE daily broadcasts on Periscope at www.periscope.tv/davidmadow.
It’s Day 3 of my #hippieroadtrip. I was in Santa Fe, NM yesterday and let me tell you something, Santa Fe is such a great town. I definitely want to spend more time in Santa Fe. Yesterday was my first time ever being there. I’ve driven through New Mexico when I helped my son Evan relocate to California. But Santa Fe is very cool and it’s definitely a place worth revisiting. Especially when I am with my wife Yoko and I have more time. My hippie road trip is 5 days going from Phoenix, AZ to Little Rock, AK in between speaking gigs. I some time constraints and I just don’t have time to stop at any one place and do a whole lot. I would have loved to have done some hiking in Santa Fe. There is good hiking all around the Santa Fe area. But I just don’t have the time.
People have been asking my why I call this the hippie road trip. And it’s just simply because these 5 days are all mine and other than having to be on stage to speak Friday morning, I don’t have any destinations planned and no reservations.
I am now entering Texas. And I just thought about this but I just lost another hour changing time zones. So I may get to my destination an hour later but it’s ok because I have nowhere to be 🙂
So what I have been doing is that the afternoon that I am traveling, I go on to www.hotels.com and finding a last minute deal. And it’s been working out incredibly well. There are deals to be had. And if you have some flexibility in your travel, it’s great. For tonight, I got a hotel suite for $69 plus tax. C’mon now!! That is incredible! And I am loving it.
So enough about my trip, you want to hear some good information. So today I am going to share a few things with you that are really important.
- I elluded to this a few episodes ago, but I have been having some trouble with my sleep lately. I’ve never had a sleep problem until now. So here is what happens, I will get up sometimes say about 2am. I’ll get up to go to the bathroom and then when I get back to bed, I can’t fall asleep. So in other words, I sleep really well until that time. I just about fall asleep when my head hits the pillow but when I wake up to go to the bathroom, I get back and can’t fall asleep. It’s been bothering me for at least a few weeks now. A couple weeks ago I got a Fitbit. And I am learning about my sleep pattern. On the first night of my hippie road trip, the same thing happened. I woke up and couldn’t fall back to sleep. I’m tossing and turning. So I went online because I was very curious What I found was very interesting. I read several articles that said a lot of times it has to do with low blood sugar and not enough protein. It said that what you might want to try is to eat some nuts or nut butter. So I ate a big spoonful of almond butter and I ate some pistachio nuts and so I laid back down in bed. Sure enough I fell asleep and I slept really well. I don’t know if that’s the problem but it happened again last night and I tried it again last night and I fell asleep. I believe I get plenty of protein. I am not getting my protein from animals but I have been vegan for about 2 years now and this just started happening. I do take some supplements. I take B12, D3, and fatty acids. I don’t think I am protein deficient but the nuts and the nut butter in the middle of the night did seem to help. I’ll be looking into this further and will report back to you as soon as I have some more information. But I thought this was interesting. I’m gonna check it out. I do have a physical coming up in a few months.
- I’m going into week 2 with my Fitbit and I love it. I bought the Fitbit Blaze. I’m going to recommend something but I am still researching and trying it out. In another week or two, I am going to be recommending (or not recommending) the one I am wearing or others models of Fitbits. Don’t go out and buy a Fitbit yet if you don’t have one. I am doing some extensive testing with mine, researching others, and I will let you know what I think is the best Fitbit for you. As I said before I love it. It tracks my steps per day, my sleep, and my pulse rate. Not only will I recommend them but I will be including a link directly to them so that you may check them out.
- I did a Periscope broadcast yesterday when I was driving from Flagstaff, AZ to Santa Fe, NM. I had a lot of time of my hands so I did a Periscope broadcast. There were some really interesting topics and I had about 120 people watching. I had a great audience. Somebody asked me during the broadcast, “How do [you] have such a positive outlook on life? How do [you] stay so motivated?” I had an answer for them and I want to share this with you today because I thought it was a great answer and I think it will really help a lot of people. It’s something I have discovered over the last several years but I have been more in tune to it over the past few months. And so when someone asks me “So Dave, how can you stay so positive? How can you be in such a good mood?” Look, I am only human and I get in bad moods. I never get in really bad moods. I’m not moody. But sometimes you wake up and you just think it’s not your day. For the most part, I am really positive and like to make the most out of every day. So my answer to the person who asks how I can remain so positive especially with all the people around you who are not so positive and are downright negative was this I learned how to get the mother fuckers out of my life. There we go. I said it. That may be the first time in the history of the David Madow Lifestyle Show that I used that word. But let me repeat it because it bears repeating. I learned how to get the mother fuckers out of my life! And when I say mother fuckers, I am talking about the people that just drain your fucking energy out of your system. Either their negative. Now I am not saying they are bad people but maybe they don’t mesh with you or your lifestyle. They are pessimistic or something like that. I get those mother fuckers out of my life. Or actually maybe they even wean themselves out because they are not for me and I am not for them. It doesn’t mean they are bad. It just means that the way they choose to live their lives and the things we do are different. Perhaps very different. So I have learned that they need to be “photoshopped” out of my life. I don’t mean them any harm at all. I try to inspire and I try to motivate people. I don’t eat meat but as I have said many times that doesn’t mean you are a bad person. But the people that want to go against me and say that all I talk about is being vegan, those are the people that I really don’t want to have anything to do with. They try to bring me down and they are very negative. I just don’t need them in my life. I have said it and will say it again if you have people, and you probably do, but get the mother fuckers out of your life. When you are able to do this your life will be so much better. And you will get to live how I am living. I truly try to stay and hang out with people like you. If you are listening to me that means I am either entertaining you or maybe you are trying to learn something or maybe it’s both. Many people have listened to my podcasts in the past and they probably said to themselves “Eh, that guy is full of shit! Who does he thing he is?!” And that’s ok with me because I am not for them. I cannot be for everybody. I don’t try to be for everybody. I don’t try to please everybody. It’s impossible. And I realize that I can’t please everybody. Not everybody is not going to be aligned with me. Not everybody is going to like my lifestyle and not everybody is going to agree with me. When you have that attitude and you realize that, let me tell you something, your life totally will change. I didn’t invent the term mother fucker but I have to admit when I said it, it’s almost like something was lifted from my shoulder. A big weight was lifted. If you’re in a public place or with your kids you probably don’t want to scream it but when I said it on Periscope yesterday I was literally yelling it. And it felt good to scream that. It really felt fantastic! And when I did I think I helped a lot of people. I apologized on Periscope for using that language but you know what the reaction was? People came back on and said “hey that’s totally fine”. I owe you the best. I take my podcast and my broadcasts very seriously. That doesn’t mean that I don’t joke around. I want to give you the best and I want to give you the true me. And if I try to censor myself and try to pretend to be this innocuous person that everybody loves but really nobody loves because you try to please everybody. I have learned more lately that I am going to be totally myself. Yeah I might make some people angry and I might lose some listeners or viewers but you know something? Since I decided to be totally me, I just feel so much more at peace. I don’t have to worry about pleasing anybody because I please the people that are aligned with me and the ones that are not and don’t like what I have to say, they go away and they find another podcast. That’s ok. I urge you to please try to live this lifestyle. That does not mean you have to walk around saying mother fucker all the time. I certainly don’t. I don’t walk around saying that. I am not going to hold back because people feel that it’s not proper and I shouldn’t do that. If I alienate a few people along the way, it’s ok. That means they didn’t want to see the real me. I feel so good talking about this. It’s great that you’re still with me because that means I am resonating in some way with you. I am telling you something, I know you and you’ve got a least one mother fucker that is getting you down. I know it for sure. Am I right? So here’s my advice. My advice is to ease them away from you. I don’t want you to stop talking to a family member. If it’s a family member, you still love them, you still see them maybe during the holidays, but you just don’t spend as much time as you are now with them.
CONNECT WITH ME AND SHARE
“Thank you very much for listening! The show is literally downloaded by the thousands each week now. In fact, we have passed the 300,000+ downloads mark! Wow! I so appreciate you listening and sharing this show with your family and friends. I love to help people live a healthier life! It is so great that we have listeners from all over the world from the United States to the UK to Canada to Europe to Japan to Australia. I love hearing from people all over the world on Facebook, Twitter, Email, and our phone hotline too!” – Dr. Dave.
Did you enjoy today’s show? Do you have any questions for me? Do you have any comments or feedback? You are not alone! We want to help you live better, stronger, happier, thinner lives!
Check out the podcasts, recipes, blog posts, and more!
—> Connect with Dr. Dave on Facebook:
Check out videos of the show and send questions/feedback
—> Connect with Dr. Dave on Instagram:
—> Connect with Dr. Dave on Google+
—> Tweet with Dr. Dave on Twitter:
__> Subscribe to Dr. Dave’s YouTube channel:
—>Connect with Dr. Dave and his professional portfolio on LinkedIn:
—> Send Dr. Dave an Email:
—> Share the show with a friend:
Do you have a friend that needs to hear this show and live a better life? Share this show with them and send them to https://www.davidmadow.com