November 28, 2013 – Episode 09 – Howard Farran is a special guest on the show today. The Phoenix, Arizona resident talks about he went from an overweight out of shape dentist to an Ironman Triathlon finisher. His story is sure to amaze you as well as inspire you! Also on today’s show your host Dr. David Madow gives some more holiday eating tips, shares a really cool breathing exercise, talks about what you can do if you have a short work break, and much more. This is a special “not to be missed” holiday episode that you may listen to and share with your friends.
MORE INFORMATION FROM THE SHOW #9:
Take a listen to the show. Download it and throw it on your iphone or ipod and listen to on the go in your car or while you are going for a run or walk.
Daily Single Nostril Breathing – Quick 10 Minutes De-Stress
Do this daily first thing in the morning and during a break at work. This special breathing practice was taught to me by my yoga instructor to create peace and calm and de-stress.
– Block your right nostril with your right thumb or pinkie
– Breathe in and out of your left nostril 1-3 times
– Then, block your left nostril with your left thumb or pinkie
– Breathe in and out your right nostril 1-3 times
– Repeat this for 10-15 minutes a couple times a day
More Information on Single Nostril Breathing: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/2483
Thanksgiving and Holiday Eating
– There is a temptation to eat too much
– You can get distracted and not pay attention to what is going in your mouth while visiting and the next morning have the scale hangover and not be happy when you step on the scale and regret overeating.
– This is your life and your friends and family may not be on a plan or care about being healthier, but you do and that is why you are listening. This is a lifestyle I am teaching and not a crash diet or quick fix.
– TIP: When things are passed around, just take a little bit and pass it on. Your body doesn’t know it is a holiday and is not ready for you to eat two or three times what you normally do.
– Be good I am watching you! Remember it is your body and you need to respect it, not abuse it, and take care of it!
What an inspiration! He went from overweight workaholic to triathlete. He wanted the biggest baddest goal he could find; the goal that scared him the most = a Triathlon. He announced his goal and told all of his family and friends and they all laughed. This motivated him even more and he remembered this when he heard that alarm go off at 4am every morning.
Every year from ages 40-50, his goal was to lose 10 pounds. Then at 50 years old I was 5’ 7”, 238 pounds a good 50 pounds overweight, and a workaholic. He woke up at 50 I wanted a big goal to live a better healthier life. He couldn’t swim one pool length for 2 minutes, he couldn’t run around the block, and could only do 6 miles on a bike. Then 11 months later just before his 51st birthday he completed his first Iron Man race. He decided every day to workout and bike, swim, or run.
The only place he could find consistently to workout with no problems, interference, or excuses was 4am. This had an amazing effect of getting him to bed early and sleeping well and stopping late night eating. He never planned a rest day, but life interferes with family, life, and travel provided an unplanned down or rest day.
Take a listen on to my chat with Dr. Howard Farran, full-time dentist who changed his life.
Weigh Yourself Daily
You don’t drive around not knowing how much gas is in the tank of your car. You need to step on the scale daily to know where you in your life and measure your success. I travel a lot and even do this on the road. I use the Newline travel scale and got it off Amazon for $20 bucks and bring it on the road so I can keep aware of where I am on a daily basis.
Rails to Trails Organization
This is an awesome non-profit organization that converts old rail lines to trails for a healthier life. “Creating a nationwide network of trails from former rail lines and connecting corridors to build healthier places for healthier people.” More information at http://www.railstotrails.org
Connect With Me
I look forward to connecting with you between these shows. The best place to reach me is on Facebook on my page: http://www.facebook.com/davidmadow. Have a great week!