Highlights from today’s show…
- One of the best ways to improve your running.
- What I discovered about injuries.
- My best tips on how to live a long life (on my 61st birthday).
Welcome to episode #136 of The David Madow Lifestyle Show. This is the show where I help you live stronger, thinner, healthier, and happier. You’re going to hear some road noise as we get into the show today. It’s going to be a great show today.
I am broadcasting on my birthday in one of my favorite cities in the world. It is hippie road trip part 2, can you guess it? I am in Toronto, Ontario in Canada. It really is one of my favorite cities in the world. It’s up there with Manhattan, San Francisco, and Chicago. I just love these cities. There’s a lot of good walking and a lot of good vegan food.
Be sure to follow my LIVE daily broadcasts on Periscope at www.periscope.tv/davidmadow.
I want to share something with you. For those of you that are in the U.S. and Canada, you know that the U.S. dollar is very strong now compared to the Canadian dollar. I don’t shop too often but I really needed a new pair of running shoes. So I sought out a place on Yelp. I found a place that was a good 20 minute walk from my hotel. I went in and the guy seemed really nice. It’s called Black Toe Running Inc. He asked me a few questions and then offer to put me on a new machine that he had. The machine can tell you the best running shoes for you. I am always up for something new so he put me on this cool high tech machine. I had to walk over a mat in a certain way like 6 or 8 times. And then it came up with the perfect running shoe for me. He brought out a few pairs and I tried them on and I have to tell you every pair I tried on was just about perfect. They felt like I could go out a run a marathon right then. There was no guessing. So I ended up buying a pair of Saucony Triumph shoes. I can’t wait to go out for a run. I thought I was going to get a really good deal but these were marked up to list price for sure. And even though I am getting these at about a 20%-30% discount, there is no question in my mind that I could have done better with the price if I had gone online. However, this guy took so much time and was so knowledgeable and not only that he was so nice. As I have said before on my show and on my scopes, we love doing business with people that we like, people that we can relate to, people that we think are honest, and people that want to help us. Yeah I could have gone online and picked these up. My guess is that I probably could have saved maybe $20 or $30. The guy’s name was Mike and he was the owner of the store. He took so much time with me and was so nice. He never inferred to me that I had to buy anything at all. If you are in business, remember that people like doing business with people that they like and trust. And I certainly liked and trusted him. If you are constantly trying to sell, and pimp your stuff, and talk about you and how great your stuff is, people are not going to buy from you. Just educate, just help, and provide a great service and people will buy from you. I know this podcast is not really a business show but many of you are in business or in sales. Let’s face it! We are selling something every single day. You might now know it. You might be selling yourself in some way. Trying to find a new spouse, or a new job; it could be anything. Keep this in mind. If people like you and people trust you and your body language is right then you are going to make it in this world. I promise you! It’s not too late for you. You are probably doing great already. I know you are doing great already because you are listening to The David Madow Lifestyle Show.
I have something else that I want to share with you. Today is a special day for me. I am traveling on my hippie road trip part 2 but it is also my birthday. I turned 61 today. And I feel great! I will admit this. I did have a very tough winter because of my leg injury. I think the leg injury just sucked the energy from other parts of my body. I tried to actually research that online to see if it’s possible. I couldn’t find a definitive answer but I think it might be true. I felt lousy for a good part of the winter. But it’s funny how my leg is starting to feel better every day and my body feels better. So just a bit of advice to you, if anybody has been undergoing some type of medical issue or injury, even though only one area may be affected it seems to affect the whole body. There is no separate system in our body. In other words if you hurt a part of your body nothing else is affected. I really believe that when you have a medical issue or injury everything is affected so be careful out there please.
I am walking around Toronto on my first day of being 61 years old. And it feels good. The sun is out and I am getting a lot of steps in on my Fitbit. Yesterday, I walked over 20,000 steps. That’s not an incredible number of steps but but for me coming off the injury that’s pretty good. My goal is to hit 12,500 steps per day. Again, it’s not a lot of steps but it’s a start. As I start to get into more walking and running, I will pick it up even more.
So how does Dr. Dave do it? How does Dr. Dave turn 61 and still feel like he is 35 or 40?
Here are a few tips…
- First and foremost, please live your life the way you want to live it. I have talked to you about this before if you are a regular listener. If you are a regular listener you know I have talked about doing what you want in life and being happy. Living your life the way you want to live it! If you are happy don’t let any other people tell you how to live your life. Don’t you dare let them do that please! Right now I am on hippie road trip part 2, 61 years old, driving up to Toronto, Canada from Reisterstown, MD because I am speaking tomorrow. I could have easily taken a plane. I could have gone to the airport, flow from Baltimore to Toronto. I could have come here and spoken tomorrow and then just leave on a plane. I could have done that. Most people would say that is normal but I am NOT normal anymore. I am living my life the way Dr. Dave/Mr. Vaygan/Hippie road traveler wants to live. When I say do what you want to do that doesn’t mean to the detriment of other people. I try to be super kind to other people and not only to people but to the non human inhabitants on this Earth as well. I am talking about the beautiful animals on the planet. I just don’t eat them anymore, I don’t wear them as clothing anymore, and it works for me. It makes me feel really great about who I am and why I am here. The animals appreciate too because there are several animals living on this planet today that would not have been living had I been eating them. Now, you might say that doesn’t mean anything. There are billions of animals on the planet so maybe you saved a few? That’s a drop in the bucket! Well, tell that to the animals that I have saved. Tell that to them. I think they would appreciate it. The more people that do not eat animals or cause harm and suffering to animals, the more animals that will be here to thank us for not taking their lives and for not causing them incredible undue suffering and horrible lives.
- Get out there and move your body. I talk about the “Magic 4”. If you can get out and walk at least 4 miles each day you will notice a big difference in how you feel, how you look, your psyche, and your mindset. Trust me, it really works. For those of you who have started doing this, you know exactly what I am talking about.
- The next thing is eating. I have talked a little about this so I won’t go in depth but as you know I am vegan so I do not consume animals. But I also try to not consume too much processed food. Whole foods that come from the Earth are the best foods. Lots of greens, fruits, nuts, beans, and seeds. I think that this is what God gave us to eat. I don’t think that he/she gave us animals to cut up and mutilate and put into our bodies. I just don’t think that’s the way we are supposed to do it.
- I also believe incredibly in doing yoga and meditation.
- Forgiveness has been a tremendous one. I just turned 61 and have lived fairly long so far. Over the course of my life, there have been people who have done not so nice things to me. Whether they are in business or whether they are from an old relationship; there are people that have treated me poorly. In the old days I probably would have held a grudge or want to see some kind of revenge. These days I forgive and move on. Instead of hating or having a bad feeling for anybody, I just let it all go. And when you do that it makes a tremendous difference in your life. This is a big tip from me. Let it go please. Promise me you will do that. You will see a big change in your life. Don’t get involved with crazies please.
I also wanted to make you aware that a lot of people are checking out my Products page where I list the products that I recommend. I am not personally selling these products. I have Fitbit watches, protein powder, and I will adding more things that I recommend such as the B12 supplement that I use. You will be buying directly from Amazon and not from me, I just want to make it easy for you. So check back regularly since I will be adding more products. Every product there is something that I personally either use myself or believe in. And of course while you’re there, the best seller is my Oy Vaygan t-shirt. I donate $2 for every shirt sold to an animal sanctuary named the Catskill Animal Sanctuary.
So I am out of breath. I am in Toronto, I am walking, and I am almost back to my hotel. I am about to put on my brand new Saucony shoes. I have been running for 35 or 40 years now and I have never worn a pair of Saucony shoes so I am super excited. I won’t be recommending these on my site because when you buy a pair of running shoes you need to go into a really knowledgeable store. Where the person running totally understands how to figure out how you are striking the ground, your gait, what your body is doing when your feet are hitting the ground. It’s really important. So I am not going to put mine up there since everyone has different feet. Just because I like them and they work for me does not mean they will work for you. Generally if you go into one of the large chain sporting goods stores they won’t have people there that will know how to fit you into the perfect running shoe. Go into a specialty running store with knowledgeable people. Usually these are the stores in the community that stage races and they have people in there that are actually runners. Get tested and fitted properly. And if they take the time and are helpful, buy at least your first pair of shoes from them. They are passionate about running and deserve to make a little profit. I like to try to help them out.
I think I packed a lot of stuff into today’s episode. I am going to get walking. Every time I walk, I am going to get walking more. It keeps me young!
CONNECT WITH ME AND SHARE
“Thank you very much for listening! The show is literally downloaded by the thousands each week now. In fact, we have passed the 300,000+ downloads mark! Wow! I so appreciate you listening and sharing this show with your family and friends. I love to help people live a healthier life! It is so great that we have listeners from all over the world from the United States to the UK to Canada to Europe to Japan to Australia. I love hearing from people all over the world on Facebook, Twitter, Email, and our phone hotline too!” – Dr. Dave.
Did you enjoy today’s show? Do you have any questions for me? Do you have any comments or feedback? You are not alone! We want to help you live better, stronger, happier, thinner lives!
Check out the podcasts, recipes, blog posts, and more!
—> Connect with Dr. Dave on Facebook:
Check out videos of the show and send questions/feedback
—> Connect with Dr. Dave on Instagram:
—> Connect with Dr. Dave on Google+
—> Tweet with Dr. Dave on Twitter:
__> Subscribe to Dr. Dave’s YouTube channel:
—>Connect with Dr. Dave and his professional portfolio on LinkedIn:
—> Send Dr. Dave an Email:
—> Share the show with a friend:
Do you have a friend that needs to hear this show and live a better life? Share this show with them and send them to https://www.davidmadow.com